What is PRTESOL?
PRTESOL (Puerto Rico Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a nonprofit organization affiliated to TESOL international. Its purpose is to stimulate professional development, disseminate information about research, books and other materials related to the teaching of English as a Second Language (ESL). PRTESOL organizes activities to keep up-to-date with current trends in the teaching of ESL, to share knowledge and experiences and to meet with other professionals in the field.
WHERE IS PRTESOL?
The organization covers the entire island of Puerto Rico. Regional chapters have been created to better serve the needs of their particular region. Members of PRTESOL are automatically members of their regional chapter (at no additional fee) and are encouraged to participate in island-wide and regional activities.
Why Join PRTESOL?
Puerto Rico TESOL is a non-profit organization which:
- Helps English teachers continue to grow professionally in the ESL field.
- Brings together persons of similar ESL interests and concerns from all over the island and the world.
- Serves and shares with other TESOL organizations and educational institutions in the strengthening of their ESL programs.
PO Box 366828
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936-6828
Membership is open to anyone involved in the teaching of English. Our members include teachers of all levels, teacher trainers, academic administrators, researchers, authors, publishers, and institutions among others.
What events does PRTESOL hold?
- Each chapter holds its own unique throughout the year.
- A Summer Institute held in the month of June.
- An annual convention held in the month of November.
Fill out the Membership Application Form and send it and the membership fee to:
PUERTO RICO TESOL
P. O. BOX 366828
SAN JUAN, PR 00936-6828
MEMBERSHIP FEES (ONE YEAR)
REGULAR = $25
FULL TIME STUDENT* = $20
RETIRED = $20
INSTITUTION** = $30
* Rate for full-time student only, undergraduate 12 credits or
more, graduate 6 credits or more. A copy of the present class
program is required with membership form.
** This fee entitles institutions to mailings only.
- Discount fees for the annual PRTESOL convention featuring prominent speakers in the ESL field, as well as workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- The opportunity to attend an annual Summer Institute (a one-day continuing education program) held at different island locations.
- Varied Regional Chapter activities you may attend, plus the chance to win a complimentary registration to the annual PRTESOL convention in each regional activity.
- Voting privileges in order to elect those who will determine the direction of PRTESOL.
- The right to attend monthly Board meetings held in various parts of the island.
- The opportunity to apply for the organization's different award and scholarship prospects.
- The opportunity to run for office and become a member of the Executive Board of PRTESOL.
- The opportunity to join others in a prestigious professional organization that is dedicated to serving the interest of the ESL profession.
- The opportunity to travel with other PRTESOL members to TESOL conventions in other countries.
- The opportunity to receive the PRTESOL GRAM, a regular publication that includes articles on research, teaching methods, and materials in ESL. It offers book reviews, and commentaries on events of interest to the profession. Announcements of local and international significance are also included.
- The periodic "Bulletin from the Board" to keep you informed of whats happening in PRTESOL
Please contact the Membership Secretary by sending an email message to:
Where would I have to go to participate in your activities?
PRTESOL is organized in six chapters: Metro, Northern, Eastern, Caguas, Southern, and Western. Each chapter offers its members different regional conferences and/or activities. In November, all our chapters unite in the celebration of our annual Convention and Exhibit.
What chapter would I belong to?
You do not have to be a member to come to any of our activities.
Keep in mind, there is often an extra nonmember fee.
The annual convention is open to everyone in the field;
nevertheless, there is an extra charge for nonmember.
PRTESOL is not involved in any hotel accommodation arrangements and is not responsible for any cancellations or costs incurred. All reservations are between the individuals and the hotels.
PRTESOL usually announces a Call for Papers through its website and sends a quick notice of approval through regular mail and email.
Yes, everyone who wishes to share his or her ideas or knowledge from the novice to the expert can submit a paper to be considered for a conference, workshop or convention.
If you would like to be an exhibitor or sponsor at any conference or convention please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .